Friday, October 12, 2012

Cooking In Cambodia...1st addition

Everyone that knows me, knows that I love to cook. Being in a third world country has not changed that, it has just changed the frequency in which I do it.

My plan, is to take "western" recipes and turn them into suitable recipes for Cooking In Cambodia. Typically this means, cooking over an open fire or in some cases on a one burner gas stove. Basically the recipes will translate well for those avid campers who may be reading this...or for my mom who is reading...to pass on to my dad :) Then again, all recipes can be made at home just as easy! Most of my cooking will be done without dairy, oils or too many spices...so if you want a specific recipe "Westernized" for cooking at home, let me know and I will help you out! Also, if you have a recipe for me to try out please send it my way!

So for this first addition, I will provide the 2 recipes I have tried out so far.

I am really hoping that my host family starts letting me cook...because I am pretty sure I am showing symptoms of withdraw.

So, here goes...

Apple Crisp- Yields about 15 cups (or enough for 30 hungry PCV's)

Ingredients:
8lbs of apples- red apples are best
2 1/2 tbsp of Cinnamon- this will get used in 2 different ways
2 c sugar- this will get used in 2 different ways
3-4 c of rolled oats

Tools:
Cutting Board
Knife
Large Pot
Camping Stove

1. Wash apples and then dice into penny sized chunks (I prefer to leave the skin on)
2. Place the oats, 1/2 tbsp of cinnamon and 1/4 c of sugar into a pot (like one you would make pasta in). Cook the oats on low until they start to become golden in color. It is important to stir frequently so as to not burn the oats.
3. Once golden, place the oats into a ziploc bag and seal. The trapped steam will continue to soften the oats.
4. Toss the apples with 2 tbsp of cinnamon and 1 3/4 cups of sugar  (if you like your crisp really sweet or with a very strong cinnamon flavor you can increase the amounts) into the pot you just cooked the oats in.
5. Cook on low for about 30 minutes, stirring frequently, until the apples are soft and the sugar has turned to a caramel like syrup.
6. Leave the apples in the pot, but take 3/4 of the oats and mix into the apples.
7. Top the crisp with the remainder of the oats. Cover and let stand until ready to eat.

Basic BBQ Sauce- Yields about 3 cups (if you intend to baste the meat multiple times I would recommend doubling recipe)

Ingredients:
1 small onion- diced very small
6 cloves of garlic- minced
2 limes- juiced
8 oz ketchup
1/4 c soy sauce
1 tsp of vegetable oil
2 chilli peppers- crush under a knife (one jalapeno minced would work also)
16 oz of Whiskey (I used a $2 bottle but you can use your favorite)
1 tbsp salt

Tools:
Cutting Board
Knife
Sauce Pan
Camping Stove

1. Mince garlic and dice onions and set aside
2. Place chilli peppers under blade of knife and crush till seeds are exposed
3. On low heat, saute garlic and onions in the oil until the onions are softened and golden brown
4. Add the chilli peppers to the pot
5. Stir in the ketchup and soy sauce
6. Add the whiskey and turn the heat up to high
7. Allow the mixture to boil for upwards of 30 minutes- or until the mixture has thickened. The longer you cook the sauce, the stronger the flavor. When you dip a metal spoon into the pot the sauce should drip off the spoon but leave the back coated.
8. When the sauce is thick turn the heat to low, add the lime juice and continue to cook for 5 more minutes.
9. To use: throw the meat of your choice on the grill and baste with the sauce throughout the cooking process

*** This sauce is best with pork...if you are using beef try using a beer like Blue Moon or something "hoppy" instead. For chicken, use something light like Heineken.
*** If you have Liquid Smoke available to you, use 2-3 tsp for a slightly smoky flavor


1 comment:

  1. Erica, these sound amazing! I am going to try the Apple Crisp. Yum!

    Hope you get to cook more often and can't wait for your next update. Miss you. LOVE YOU!

    ReplyDelete