Saturday, July 28, 2012

Let's get riel...

For starters...the currency here in Cambodia is the riel. Now the title seems clever aye? For every $1, you get 4,100 riels. Just a little bit of currency training for you all. Now...time to get riel and fill you in on the things that I have yet to adjust too...nor do I think I ever will.

1. The traffic pattern; or lack there of. There are no posted speed limits and every time you go out on the streets it is like a game of chicken. Whoever is faster or larger has the right of way. Some of the streets are "divided" by a paint line but that doesn't mean that a car (lan), truck (lan tom), motorcycle (moto) or biker (gong) won't end up driving the wrong way down that road. Be alert!
2. 10 year old kids driving motos. They teach them young here! Not only does the child drive a moto, but they also tote around their friends and siblings as well.
3. A family of 4 riding one moto. No lie, I have seen a mother breast feeding her infant while her toddler sits on her lap and the dad drives the moto. No one here uses car seats, seat belts or helmets!
4. The amount of people/materials you can fit on a moto. I have seen 4 grown men riding on one moto. It is crazy to see how much you can fit on one moto. It is normal to see a driver at the front of the seat, bags of rice piled 4 high behind them with someone sitting on them. Talk about balancing skills!
5. Torrey packing skills. A torrey is basically a van that you can hire to drive you to different cities. According to my host sister, a 10 person torrey should hold 20 people and their bags. I have also seen a packed torrey with another 15 people sitting on the top.
6. Children smoking. This happens in the states too...but I am always caught off guard when I see a young boy smoking on the side of the road.
7. Squat toilets and no toilet paper. I am sure you can all figure this one out...no need for details. Needless to say it is a different experience. 

A few people have asked me what my favorite parts of Cambodia are so far...it is so difficult to say at this point. I love learning a new language, experiencing a new culture and learning something new but it is still all so new to me that it is hard to pin point one thing. Hopefully as time goes by, I can give more specifics...but for now you will have to deal with generalizations and random lists of information! Cheers!

1 comment:

  1. Hi Erica--Theresa Flannery here! I hope your "culture shock" is fading a bit and you are adjusting to your new job. It seems that you will not have a ton of net availability, but I look forward to any new posts and reading of your adventures! Keep safe and enjoy.

    ReplyDelete